If you’ve been wondering how you can update your outdoor space, you might want to consider a fire pit for the patio. Fire pits can provide a great centerpiece for conversations with family and friends and can allow for enjoyable evenings outdoors even in cooler weather. We’ve compiled some tips on how to use a fire pit safely, how to maintain it, and how to store it so it provides enjoyment for years to come. Keep reading to learn more!
Staying Safe While Using a Fire Pit
- Always use dry, seasoned wood or charcoal in your fire pit. Never use treated wood, as it can release harmful chemicals into the air.
- Never overload your fire pit with too much wood or charcoal. This can cause the fire to get out of control.
- Keep children and pets away from the fire pit when it is in use.
- Never leave a fire unattended. Always have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby in case of an emergency.
- If you are using your fire pit for cooking, make sure to use a cooking grate. This will help to prevent food from falling into the fire and causing a fire hazard.
- Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids to start a fire in your fire pit. This can be extremely dangerous and could lead to a fire.
- Be sure to follow all local fire codes when using your fire pit.
Maintaining & Storing Your Fire Pit
- After each use, allow the fire pit to cool completely before cleaning.
- To clean a wood-burning fire pit, use a wire brush to remove any ash or debris. You can also use a mild soap and water solution.
- To clean a gas fire pit, use a brush to remove any ash or debris. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust and dirt.
- Once a year, you should deep clean your fire pit. This will help to remove any rust or corrosion. To deep clean a wood-burning fire pit, you can use a muriatic acid solution. To deep clean a gas fire pit, you can use a commercial cleaner.
- Store your portable fire pit in a dry, covered area when it is not in use.
Find the perfect fire pit at the Speculator Dept. Store.
The Speculator Dept. Store carries high-quality Plow & Hearth fire pits and accessories, so you’ll be ready to entertain this summer in style. Stop in today to see our fire pits on display and to pick one up for your home!